The Annual MET Gala event has taken the world of Fashion and Film by storm. The 2017 edition kick-started on 1st May 2017 and has already created quite an uproar.
But what exactly is MET Gala. Let’s dig a little deeper and unearth the mystery :
- MET Gala is an annual fundraising event celebrated at Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
- The fund raised by the event are used for the Costume Institute.
- In May, every year, exhibition by Costume Institute is announced and a grand opening heralds the beginning.
- Celebrities from Fashion and Film industry throng to prestigious MET Gala to walk on the red carpet and be a part of MET Ball.
- MET Gala, is considered even bigger than the Oscar’s.
- Each year, a theme is set for the Ball and all the celebrities conform to that theme on Main event.
- Prior to that, lots of press coverage is given to the Red carpeted walks, organized at Metropolitan Museum and hugely covered by popular International media.
- The Gala has been organized since 1946 annually and begins on first Monday of May. A Costume exhibition is held, based on the theme chosen for that year.
- As the event is attended by all the high profile national and international actors, artists, fashionistas and high society people, it is extensively reported in Media.
- It was only thrice in 1991-92, 2000-2001 and 2001-02, that Gala was held but no costume exhibition occurred.
- On first day of the event, Museum is closed for general public. And then expensive tickets are sold for a Dekko at the Museum exhibition.
- The final guest list of MET Gala is restricted to just 600-700 guests and among celebrities, there is a cut throat unsaid competition for being hailed as the best dressed, well photographed, critically admired prestigious guests of the event.
- There are Honorary event day Chair for Gala. In 2013, it was held by Beyonce and in 2017, it would be shared by Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams
- The theme for 2017 Costume Exhibition is Rei Kawakubo – Comes Des Garçons, focussing first time on a live designer after Yves Saint Lorrent in 1983.
- Last year’s MET Gala was dominated by Madonna’s controversial dress, wherein she appeared with exposed breasts and buttocks!
MET Gala 2017 has already begun on May 1st and it would be interesting to watch celebrities sashay down the Red Carpet. Keep watching this space for more action.